There are reports that Canon is going to announce the upcoming EOS R3 mirrorless camera on June 29th, 2021. Yes, tomorrow. Canon Rumors initially reported the news, but now say they’ve received some information that it might just be another teaser.
The latter makes more sense, as Canon said they would be releasing more information between the initial development announcement and the final official announcement and, well, they’ve not released any new info since that development announcement yet. There’s also no word on an official announcement from the other usual sources for such information.
The current specs for the EOS R3, though, including both confirmed ones as well as rumoured, looks a little something like this.
- 30.1mp backside illuminated image sensor (A Canon first)
- Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
- Vari-Angle Touch Screen
- NEW accessory shoe
- Wifi 5GHz
- High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
- AF down to -7.0 EV
- 8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
- 4K Canon Log3
- Oversampling 4K
- Internal RAW video
- Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
- RAW internal movie recording
- Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter
- The same weather sealing as the EOS-1D series
- LP-E19 Battery
- Dual card slot SD & CFExpress
The 30.1-megapixel sensor is still a rumour. We don’t know what resolution it will ultimately be, although 30.1 seems to be the most likely from reports so far. What is confirmed, though, is that it is definitely both designed and manufactured by Canon themselves.
Also confirmed is that the Eye Control Autofocus system returning to the Canon EOS lineup with the EOS R3, which will be a first for Canon since the days of 35mm film SLRs. Let’s just hope it’s improved somewhat since then and can handle people wearing glasses!
Whatever the announcement is tomorrow, whether it’s the actual camera or just a few more details, we’ll keep you posted as we find out more.
[via Canon Rumors]