This lasagna skillet is an extra cheesy shortcut kind of dish and best of all, it’s loaded with all of the flavors found in a homemade lasagna recipe.
This hearty pasta has a zesty meat sauce and is topped with mozzarella, parmesan, and fresh ricotta cheese for the perfect bite.
- We love this easy dish because it comes together in minutes, no layering required.
- This dish has all of the flavors of traditional lasagna in a quick stovetop recipe.
- One pot of pasta and one skillet is all you need.
- Skillet lasagna reheats and freezes well so it’s great for lunches too.
Ingredients and Variations
PASTA: Create a signature dish. Use medium-sized pasta like penne, rotini, or bowtie shells. Mafalda is the name of the ruffled shape I’ve used in the photos.
MEAT: I use ground beef but of course Italian sausage is great in this too. You can also use ground turkey.
SAUCE: Pasta sauce with a can of diced tomatoes and some Italian seasoning makes this dish quick. If you’d prefer a from scratch recipe, start with an easy marinara sauce . Be sure to double up on the batch for future meals.
CHEESE: Loads of ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese give this dish that famous lasagna flavor. Save some calories and switch out the ricotta for full-fat cottage cheese, or stir in some Velveeta for a new cheddar-style twist.
How to Make Skillet Lasagna
- Cook ground beef, onion, & garlic in a large skillet. Drain fat.
- Add bell pepper to the beef mixture the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer (as per recipe below).
- Stir in cooked pasta. Top with cheeses and cover to melt (or broil if you’d like!).
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and enjoy.
Tips for Perfect Pasta
- Do not overcook. Boil pasta just until al dente. It will continue to cook in the skillet with the other ingredients.
- Do not rinse pasta. Avoid rinsing it so the starch clings to it and helps thicken the lasagna sauce.
- Broil cheese. If you have an oven-safe pan, place the cheese under a broiler for a few minutes for extra flavor.
Sides that Go With Lasagna Skillet
Did you enjoy this Lasagna Skillet? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
This lasagna is a new twist on a savory and cheesy favorite.
Brown beef, onion, and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain fat.
While the beef is browning, cook pasta in salted water just until al dente. Drain but do not rinse.
Add green pepper to the ground beef and cook 3-4 minutes or until it begins to soften. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, and Italian seasoning. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
Stir in cooked pasta and simmer an additional 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Mix ricotta and parmesan cheeses. Top the skillet with dollops of cheese mixture. Add the mozzarella around the ricotta and cover until melted. Garnish with herbs if desired.
- Any medium pasta will work.
- Cook pasta just to al dente (firm) as they will continue to cook when simmered with the meat sauce. Do not rinse pasta.
- Ground beef can be substituted for ground chicken, pork, or Italian sausage.
- For a browned topping, add mozzarella cheese to the skillet and broil 2-3 minutes. Add ricotta and fresh herbs before serving.
Calories: 411, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 80mg, Sodium: 783mg, Potassium: 816mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 836IU, Vitamin C: 22mg, Calcium: 282mg, Iron: 3mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword cheesy skillet lasagna, easy lasagna, Skillet Lasagna, stovetop lasagna
Course Main Course