Let the magic begin and whip up this rich and chocolaty magic shell recipe in minutes.
Just two ingredients and a couple of minutes in the microwave are all it takes to make this delicious fruit dip or topping. Drizzle it on ice cream or even fruit!
What is a Magic Shell?
Magic shell is a chocolaty syrup that “magically” dries to a hardened, crunchy shell when it’s topped over cold foods like ice cream. The addition of a bit of coconut oil makes keeps it from being too hard (and it tastes great) so it’s easy to eat.
Easy Ice Cream Topping!
- This homemade magic shell recipe dresses up any frozen dessert and makes even the simplest of treats fun and fancy.
- It uses only two ingredients and prep is super fast!
- While it’s still hardening, toss on some colorful sprinkles or chopped nuts to get that ice cream parlor look!
- Make and take to any party or picnic and dress up all the desserts!
Ingredients for Magic Shell
Chocolate – Semi-sweet chocolate chips are best for this recipe, but dark chocolate, white chocolate, and even peanut butter chips can be used!
Oil – We use coconut oil because it has a higher fat content which helps the chocolate harden faster. If you don’t like the coconut flavor, use refined coconut oil or sunflower oil.
How to Make a Magic Shell
This is a different kind of chocolate sauce. It is ultra-quick and easy and hardens as soon as it hits the ice cream.
- Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in the same microwave-safe bowl (as per recipe below).
- Microwave, pausing to stir the mixture as directed until combined and melted.
- Pour over ice cream or chilled fruit.
How to Use a Magic Shell
Impress your guests (we mean the kiddos AND the adults!) and use magic shell over your favorite ice cream, chilled fruit like sliced apples or strawberries, or drizzle over a banana split. Try it on frozen angel food cake.
Other ‘Magic’ Recipes
Magic shell doesn’t have to be the only trick up your sleeve! Try some of these other fun treats.
Magic Cookie Bars – Coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts on a graham cracker base
Death by Chocolate Magic Bars – Ooey, gooey and chocolaty!
Peanut Butter Magic Cookie Bars – Sweet, crunchy combo of chocolate and peanut butter
How to Store Magic Shell
- Leftover Magic Shell can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a month or in the freezer for 4 months.
- If it hardens, melt it in the microwave in 30-second intervals until it’s smooth again.
Did your family love this Magic Shell? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!