Cream of Onion Soup is a rich and creamy soup filled with the flavor of sweet onions.
Onions have a natural sweetness (which is why they caramelize so beautifully) and add a delicate and delicious flavor to this soup. It’s great served next to a salad with crusty bread.
Cream of Onion Soup
- Onion soup is made in one pot and goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in minutes! Or, keep it warm in a Crockpot and let everyone help themselves. Set out bowls of shredded cheese and some Homemade Croutons.
- Unlike a traditional French Onion soup, the caramelized onions and celery are pureed for a rich and creamy soup that’s perfect for dipping crusty bread. Even kids will love its sweet/savory flavor.
- Every home cook needs a few of their own made-from-scratch soup recipes. Nothing smells better than a slow, simmering pot of soup on the stove, ready to serve.
ONIONS: This recipe is best with sweet onions like Walla Wallas, Vidalias, or a combination of the two but regular onions will work just fine too. For a heartier vegetable-style soup, stir in or puree roasted veggies like carrots or potatoes.
How to Make Cream of Onion Soup
Cream of Onion Soup is so delicious and so easy!
- Caramelize the onions and celery in a large pot. Add flour & thyme per the recipe below.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients & bring to a boil, simmer until veggies are tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or carefully pour soup into a blender & puree.
- Season & serve.
Texture Tip: We love to puree this soup so it is completely smooth. If you prefer a little bit of texture, remove some of the onions before pureeing the soup, chop them and add them back into the pot.
What to Serve with Soup
Onion soup is a classic recipe that stands the test of time! Serve as a side dish with some crackers or a baguette of Homemade Garlic Bread, or some Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks. Or make some colorfully crunchy salads like Beet & Arugula Salad, Old Fashioned Three Bean Salad, or Brussels Sprout Salad.
How to Store
Cream of onion soup keeps best in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. Reheat soup on the stovetop and serve.
Cozy & Creamy Soups
Did your family love this Cream of Onion Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cream of Onion Soup
This warm & cozy Cream of Onion Soup is the perfect meal for a cold winter’s day!
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in flour and thyme, cook 1 minute more.
Stir in broth, a bit at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
Blend soup with a hand blender, add in cream and simmer 5 minutes more. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve.
Leftover soup can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze cooled soup in a zippered bag for up to 4 weeks. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
Serving: 1cup, Calories: 378, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 102mg, Sodium: 830mg, Potassium: 404mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1274IU, Vitamin C: 19mg, Calcium: 81mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course Dinner, Lunch, Soup