The Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR is a brand new standard prime lens for the Fuji-X APS-C camera system, offering an effective focal length of 50mm in 35mm terms.
Sporting an identical external design to the XF 18mm F1.4 lens, the new 33mm optic is weather-resistant and has a faster Linear auto-focusing motor than the current XF 35mm f1.4 R.
It offers 30cm minimum focusing, 58mm filter size, an A position lock, and weighs 360g.
The Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR will be released in late September 2021 priced at £699 / €799 / $799.
Fujifilm Press Release
Fujifilm Announces FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR
New-generation prime lens series offering high resolution with fast and highly accurate AF
TOKYO, September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the FUJINON Lens “XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR” (XF33mmF1.4) in late September 2021. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, known for their outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology. This is a new-generation large-aperture prime lens that delivers exceptional image sharpness even when wide open at F1.4. The high-resolution capability is coupled with exceptional AF performance that delivers fast and highly accurate autofocus in both stills and video, and ruggedized design that accommodates a variety of shooting conditions alongside the other F1.4 primes, namely the “FUJINON Lens XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR” and the “FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR” .
The XF33mmF1.4 is a highly versatile standard prime lens with the focal length equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm film format, making it an essential new-generation lens for all X Mount users. The X Mount format, since its original introduction in 2012, has undergone continuous development of new products and devices in pursuit for advanced image quality. This lens has been designed to support camera sensors of even greater resolution to be developed in the future, offering exceptional image sharpness and advanced image-resolving performance even when wide open. It also offers impressive mobility and is equipped with a silent, fast and highly accurate AF system driven by a linear motor, enabling tack-sharp focus in stills and smooth focusing in video recording. The ruggedized dust- and moisture-resistant design comes in X Mount’s signature portability, weighing approximately 360g and measuring 73.5mm in length and 58mm in filter thread. The XF33mmF1.4 is a new-generation large-aperture standard prime designed with superior image resolution, mobility and ruggedness to drive the evolution of the X Series for the next decade and beyond, setting a new benchmark for interchangeable X Mount lenses.
(1) Exceptional image sharpness even at the maximum aperture
- The lens consists of 15 lens elements, including two aspherical elements and three ED elements, in 10 groups to effectively minimize chromatic aberration and spherical aberration, delivering edge-to-edge sharpness even when wide open. The focusing group in the middle includes two ED elements and one aspherical element to reduce fluctuation of aberration caused by the movements of focusing elements, securing superior image quality across all focusing range from close-up to infinity.
- Boasting the maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens allows users to produce high-quality pictures with minimal camera shake and digital noise even in low light conditions such as poorly-lit indoors and nightscape. At F1.4, the lens provides a shallow depth-of-field to render background out-of-focus for creamy bokeh, adding a clear contrast and three-dimensional definitions to the sharply-focused main subject on the focal plane. Comatic aberration is also well-controlled to capture small light sources as round points, avoiding color casts in the background in bokeh. The use of nine aperture blades ensures nearly round shape bokeh even around the maximum aperture.
(2) Standard focal length and broad shooting range
The XF33mmF1.4 offers the most popular and standard focal length of 33mm (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm film format). The focal length provides the angle of view closest to that of the human eye, creating a natural-looking perspective. It covers a wide range of shooting situations from portraiture to snapshots and landscape photography, presenting them in versatile styles with the use of correct shooting techniques. The broad shooting range is also complemented by its advanced close-up capability with the minimal working distance of just 30cm and the maximum magnification of 0.15x.
(3) Silent, fast and highly-accurate AF
- The XF33mmF1.4’s AF system is driven with a linear motor thanks to its lightweight design attributable to the use of smaller focusing elements, resulting in silent, fast and highly-accurate AF. The AF is achieved with the Inner Focus system, which keeps the range of movements for the focusing lens group small while precisely controlling the amount of focusing required within the range. The focus is attained in as fast as 0.04 seconds, ensuring that users do not miss a decisive photo opportunity.*1
- The use of the linear motor for fast and precise autofocus means the focus can be maintained accurately even in the AF-C mode, mainly used in video recording. In addition, the lens is optically designed to minimize changes in the angle of view, caused by focus breathing, making it an ideal choice for full-fledged video production.
*1 Compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, When mounted on the mirrorless digital camera
“FUJIFILM X-T4” with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON.
(4) Advanced mobility based on compact, lightweight and ruggedized construction
- The XF33mmF1.4 is compact and lightweight, weighing approximately 360g and measuring 73.5mm long with the filter thread size of 58mm. The external diameter of the focusing lens group is kept small to accommodate a linear motor in the space created to achieve a slimline and stylish design.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 11 locations so that it is dust and weather resistant and can be used at temperatures as low as -10℃, accommodating snapshots in rain or astrophotography in cold winter nights for ruggedized performance in all shooting conditions.
- The focus ring has an improved control resolution for greater control, especially during manual focusing at a shallow depth of field. The gear pitch inside the focus ring is carefully designed for advanced movement detection capability, enabling linear focusing that responds precisely to the subtlest of fingertip movements.
- The A (auto) Position Lock offers reliable operation, locking the aperture ring in place to avoid any unintentional adjustment during shooting.
- The shape of knurling on the focus ring is carefully designed to make it easy to remove dirt stuck in grooves.
3. Optional accessories
Lens hood “LH-XF23 II” (designed for the XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR and XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR)
Coinciding with the launch of the XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR, Fujifilm is releasing the rectangular-shaped Lens Hood LH-XF23 II, designed for this lens. It helps reduce flairs and ghosting to capture clear pictures. The milled-aluminum design gives it a classical and stylish look. It can also be fitted to the XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR.
Product name, release date and price
Recommended retail price
FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR
Late September, 2021
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.