The new SHAPE Rolling Camera Backpack can also function as a carry-on-sized trolley with a rigid outer shell to protect camera equipment. For added comfort, it has a padded back and backpack straps with an adjustable chest strap. Offering several additional handy compartments on the inside and outside, the bag is available for around $250.
The Canadian camera accessories company SHAPE has recently made it into our articles with the AC Toolkit Utility Belt and numerous camera cages. They recently launched a new camera bag which combines a backpack and a trolley into one product. Let’s take a short look at the new SHAPE Rolling Camera Backpack, shall we?
SHAPE Rolling Camera Backpack
First of all, SHAPE advertises this rolling camera backpack as lightweight and it probably comes down to which bags you are comparing it with – the empty weight of the SHAPE bag is 14 lbs (6.35 kg). The main selling point of the bag is the combined usability – you can carry it either as a backpack by pulling out the concealed, padded backpack straps, or you can roll it as a sturdy two-stage aluminum trolley with a center button control.
The bag has a fabric exterior wrapped around an armored, rigid structure. The flexible, removable interior with multiple dividers protects and organizes the gear. The bag is designed to fit most carry-on size requirements. On the outside, there are several convenient compartments such as clear pockets in the full panel zip opening for easy access to essential accessories, a mesh-lined water bottle pouch, a clear pocket on top for a mobile phone, and more. Also, the main zipper is YKK waterproof.
- wheeled carry-on with hidden backpack straps and a chest strap
- dimensions: 20 x 14.5 x 10″ (50.80 x 36.83 x 25.40 cm)
- weight 14 lbs (6.35 kg)
- hook-and-loop “A” accent on front
- MOLLE webbing on each side of the bag.
- mesh-lined water bottle pouch.
- side handle
- a padded laptop compartment suspends your device to protect it from impact.
- YKK waterproof main zipper
- soft strap in the center of the back for easy grab
- sturdy top handles and a large pocket for essential accessories at the top of the back
- padded insert with dividers. Insert connects to the shell with 2 elastic straps.
- retractable flashlight keychain attached to metal ring included.
- the front main pocket has a clear internal zippered organizer.
- sturdy retractable red top handle with push-button release.
- mid-size tripod attachment feature at the back of the bag with tripod pocket and additional straps to secure tripod legs.
- black rain cover with passthrough for back straps.
Price and availability
The SHAPE Rolling Camera Backpack is available on backorder now. The price is around $250 (or around €275 in Europe). The bag has been crafted in Canada. SHAPE provides a lifetime warranty for all its products, but only on the CNC machined parts. In the case of this bag, I am not sure there are even any.
Do you use a backpack or trolley for transporting your camera equipment? How do you like the combined solution in form of the SHAPE Rolling Camera Backpack? Let us know in the comments section underneath the article.