This delightfully decadent yet deceptively easy-to-make strawberry cream cake tastes like a slice of summer!
A basic cake mix is upgraded with fresh berries and a a few extras, slathered in whipped cream and topped with heaps of fresh strawberries!
This cake is as pretty and delicious as it is easy to make.
An Easy Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Who doesn’t love a moist cake recipe? Even better when it’s super quick and easy!
- This Strawberry cream cake bakes up tall and fluffy and moist and looks so dramatic.
- Ready-made ingredients and a few special tricks take this recipe from ordinary to extraordinary in just a few steps!
- Fancy enough for a party but easy enough to make in minutes!
- Make the cake ahead and keep it chilled until ready to frost or wrap it in plastic and freeze until ready to use!
Ingredients & Variations
Cake – Level up a box of cake mix with fresh chopped strawberries for flavor and a few other additions like sour cream. We use white cake mix but yellow cake or Funfetti will look and taste just as good.
Jell-O – A box of strawberry (or raspberry) Jell-o add flavor and a pretty pink color.
Topping – Keep the topping fresh and creamy by using whipped topping or whipped cream. For a richer flavor, beat 4oz cream cheese with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped topping.
Strawberries – Fresh is always best, but frozen strawberries will do and are easier to chop when they’re still a little frozen. Let them thaw in a colander in the sink after they’re chopped. Any fresh or frozen fruit will work as long as they’re finely chopped so they stay suspended in the batter and don’t sink to the bottom.
How to Make a Strawberry Cream Cake
Sweet, moist, and fluffy; there isn’t much more to ask for in a cake!
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Prepare the cake (as per the recipe below) and fold in the egg whites and fresh strawberries.
- Bake and cool completely. Top the cake with whipped topping or fresh whipped cream.
- Garnish with strawberries before serving.
Tips for Success
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper to ensure the cake doesn’t stick. Trace the pan on the paper and cut using scissors.
- For easy cake removal, run a butter knife along the edges and place a plate on top of the cake. Invert the cake and it should release nicely.
- Ensure that the cake is completely cooled before frosting.
- The whole cake can be frosted or it can be served as a naked cake while frosting only the top and between the layers.
- For best frosting results, chill the cake so it’s firmer and less likely to crumble as it’s frosted.
Sweet Strawberry Desserts
Did you make this Strawberry Cream Cake? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Strawberry Cream Cake
Strawberry Cream Cake is rich, creamy, and loaded with fresh strawberries! This cake is as pretty and delicious as it is easy to make.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease the sides.
Mix cake mix, egg yolks, oil, Jell-o, sour cream, and milk in a large bowl. Set aside.
With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Fold the egg whites and strawberries into the cake batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 32-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pan and cool completely.
Cut completely cooled and spread a 1-inch layer of whipped topping or whipped cream on one of the cakes. Top with the second layer of cake. Spread with additional whipped topping.
Refrigerate for at least one hour. Garnish with sliced strawberries.
Chopped strawberries can be added to the middle layer if desired.
Notes on the Topping
Ensure the cake is completely cooled before ‘frosting’.
For a richer topping, beat 4oz cream cheese with 2 oz softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped topping.
If preferred, 1 cup of your favorite cream cheese frosting can be folded into the whipped topping.
Whipped topping can be replaced with fresh whipped cream if desired but whipped topping tends to hold up better in the fridge if planning for leftovers.
If desired this can be made as a naked cake and topped with cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 357 | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 374mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 174IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.